All Chesnut families should plan to attend Open House– it’s very important that you do. The day serves several purposes:
- Provide current Proof of Residency – this is required of all families if they have not done so in the past 30 days
- Complete the following necessary school information:
- Kindergarten Assessment – each child entering Kindergarten will undergo a brief assessment by a Kindergarten teacher. See further detail below in the FAQ section
- School lunch information – payment system, free/reduced lunch applications, etc
- After school transportation – designate your child’s after school transportation. Register as a car rider and pickup car tag, bus rider and receive bus assignment or walker
- Register or update information in the My School Anywhere online directory
- Meet the teachers and provide them with important contact and dismissal information (see note about meeting kindergarten teachers below)
- Afterschool Extended Day Program – receive program information, meet the staff and register if desired
- School Uniforms – opportunity to purchase spirit wear shirts with the “Chesnut Elementary” logo, used uniforms and other items from the school store
- Room Parent – sign up or receive more information
- Purchase agendas (mandatory Grades 1-5)
- Meet parent volunteers and discuss how you can become involved in the school to further enrich your child’s learning experiences
Frequently Asked Questions:
What time is Open House/Registration?
Chesnut’s Open House/Registration is between 8am – 2pm. The first hour and the last hour are
typically the busiest times. Please plan accordingly.
We are a returning Chesnut family. Didn’t we complete a “registration packet” last spring?
The packet you completed last spring is now in your child(ren)’s folder(s), so the school could be
up-to-date on health records, contact information, etc. It also helped administration in knowing
who would be returning so that they could form homerooms. That was more than 30 days ago, so you
still need to present proof of residency as indicated above. Any new families will complete this
information package on-site.
Do I need to bring proof of residency?
Any NEW family that has not presented the main office with proof of residency between July 1, 2017 and
Open House/Registration day must do so by presenting a current utility bill (gas, electricity or
water, NOT phone) and a copy of mortgage or lease at Open House/Registration. The name on the proof
of residency should match your driver’s license or other photo identification. Most returning
families fall in to this category.
**All current Chesnut families must bring their current proof of residency to Open House/Registration. There will be no early registration for current families with no new children at the school.
How Can I Volunteer at Open House/Registration? Are there any benefits to doing so?
We are looking for volunteers in three shifts: 8am-10am, 10am-12pm, and 12pm-2pm. Experienced
Chesnut families and new ones are welcome! Please note we need at least one Spanish speaking
volunteer per shift. The link to volunteer is: www.SignUpGenius.com/go/30E084BAFA92FAB9-chesnut1
Volunteers will receive a Fast Pass to expedite their registration process. You will receive the
information for your Fast Pass via email once you sign up to volunteer. Any volunteer questions can
be emailed to Julianne Oblas: firstname.lastname@example.org
Should my children come to Open House/Registration as well? Can they meet their teachers?
Kindergarten families should plan to bring their children to Open House/Registration. Kindergarten
children will interact with a staff member for a brief screening (this is not an IQ test or a test
of school readiness; the information will simply be used to form balanced classrooms over the next
two days). Parents of kindergarten students should plan to return to the school with their children
on Friday, August 4th from 2pm-3pm to meet their kindergarten teachers and have the opportunity to
drop off school supplies.
Families with children in all other grades are also more than welcome to bring their children to
Open House/Registration! They can meet their teacher and they will also have the opportunity to
drop off school supplies if they were not preordered from School Kidz. School supplies can also be
brought in on August 7th, the first day of school. Note: School supply lists can be found
on the parent website: www.chesnutelementary.com